Exploring the Benefits of Galvanization for Long-Term Structural Integrity
In the construction and related industries, galvanization is like a whispered promise of longevity. Ideally, every steel piece should be coated with this zinc armour before joining the project. Why? Because when done correctly by professionals, hot-dip galvanizing provides a double solution: convenience for the builders and engineers working on the project, and a tower of strength for the final structure that will last for decades.
While hot-dip galvanization seems simple, it is not just steel dipped in a bath of molten zinc. National and international standards have strict guidelines for each step, ensuring the perfect, long-lasting product.
Only Use Certified Galvanization Professionals
If you are looking for quality galvanizing, you would be well advised to only procure your products through approved galvanization professionals. An uninformed galvanization company may not understand the limitations of the zinc coating thickness and apply too thick a layer. This might increase the stress between the steel and zinc layers and induce flaking, which might result in fracturing or chipping under handling or during installation.
A company’s true professionalism is demonstrated in its certifications. Always look for the SATAS mark for hot-dip galvanizing excellence. This should be shown to you upon your request and is a powerful indicator of their proficiency.
4 Benefits of Utilising Galvanization for Longevity and Structural Integrity
Here are four benefits of using galvanization:
1. Corrosion Protection: Galvanization provides excellent protection from rust for iron and steel. The zinc coating acts as a sacrificial anode, meaning it corrodes instead of the underlying metal. This can extend the lifespan of the structure significantly.
2. Low Maintenance: Galvanized structures need very little maintenance. The zinc coating is self-healing, so it can protect the underlying metal even if it is scratched or damaged.
3. Durability: Galvanized structures are very durable and can withstand most environmental conditions. They are resistant to rust, salt, and other corrosive substances, meaning that they can survive decades.
4. Cost Efficiency: Although initial investments may not be the cheapest quotation; since the metal will need no reapplications, year-on-year, without inflation-related labour or material costs, it will pay for itself over time.
4 Benefits of Only Using Accredited Professionals for Galvanization
Correctly applied galvanizing through accredited galvanizers ensures that you receive the experience and expertise you deserve. Here are four more benefits:
1. Design Versatility and Flexibility: Architects and builders alike opt for professionally galvanized steel because it is so versatile and adaptable. They can easily shape it to fit most projects, no matter how unique, opening doors to all sorts of innovative designs.
2. Complete Covering: Every part of a well-galvanized item is completely protected, including screw threads, crevices, recesses, sides, and corners, ensuring that maintenance remains minimal.
3. Peace of Mind: To remain accredited, galvanizers need to conform to various regulatory bodies and be open to random inspection by the authorities. If they carry the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS), South African National Standards (SANS), or the South African Technical Auditing Services (SATAS) stamps of approval, you can have complete peace of mind that you will be procuring products that may last up to 80 years and more.
4. Sustained Quality: Once accredited with these esteemed badges of approval, suppliers will want to sustain the accolades and credentials that they have earned. This guarantees that you receive the best quality products today and sustainably into the future.
Superior Quality Galvanized Products
At Armco Superlite, we have been supplying superior-quality galvanized products for more than 30 years.
Between our two impressive galvanization stations in Randfontein and Isando, we can process almost 3000 tons a month collectively.
We at Armco Superlite are an accredited galvanizer, listed by the BSI ISO 9001:2015 quality scheme, ensuring only the best products are produced in our plants. Additionally, we hold the SATAS mark of hot dipped galvanized steel, and all our galvanized products are according to the SANS 121 / ISO 1461 specification.
If your supplier cannot boast these accreditations, perhaps it is time you armed yourself with Armco.