The Colourful World of Road Cones: A Journey into Their Remarkable Role
The orange road cone, also known as the traffic cone, pylon, or simply just cone is a familiar site on roads globally, and most motorists are aware of it. These simple but effective devices play a crucial role in maintaining traffic flow, enhancing road safety, and alerting road users of potential hazards. While they seem like ordinary road markers, they do live in a colourful world and serve many purposes that contribute to the smooth and safe functioning of our highways and byways worldwide.
At Armco Superlite, we are a leading supplier of road safety equipment in Sub-Saharan Africa, and among our vast portfolio, we offer a broad range of pylons. From public events and people management to construction zones and even monster cones for the mining industry, if you need a road cone, we can assist you.
Perhaps you do not know that you need a road cone or two in your establishment or business. So, today, we will discuss a few of the roles pylons play in effective road safety and investigate a little more about them.
The Road Cone is There to Assist You Stay Safe
While the road cone does not typically indicate an immediate threat, it does serve as a reminder to exercise caution and to be aware of the potential for dangerous hazards and the possibility of accidents. It serves as a visible warning, alerting people to the presence of a dangerous situation in the vicinity. Their association with construction areas and projects involving heavy machinery or men at work stems from the role of delineating areas where there is an increased risk of injury.
5 Primary Purposes of the Orange Road Cone
Here are five primary functions of road cones that you might not know about:
1. Traffic Guidance and Control: Road cones are primarily used for the obvious reason they were manufactured – to guide and control traffic, typically at slower speeds, especially in situations where road conditions or construction necessitate temporary changes to traffic patterns. They are often employed to direct road users into alternative routes, create temporary lanes, or separate opposing traffic streams.
2. Demarcating Boundaries and Restricted Areas: These markers are effective in defining open spaces into sections like restricted areas, preventing vehicles and pedestrians from entering unauthorised areas. They are commonly used at construction sites, mark off designated parking areas, or create safety perimeters around events.
3. Emergency Response and Incident Management: They play a vital role in emergency response and incident management, assisting in establishing perimeters around accident or crime scenes, directing traffic away from hazards, and creating safe access routes for emergency vehicles.
4. Pedestrian Safety and Playground Protection: These devices are often utilised to enhance pedestrian safety, typically in areas with high foot traffic or near schools and playgrounds. They can create designated pedestrian crossings, delineate safe play areas, and warn drivers of pedestrians.
5. Temporary Signage and Marking: Orange cones can serve as temporary signage or markers for many reasons, such as indicating parking restrictions, directing traffic to specific locations, or warning road users of open manholes or potholes which may damage your vehicle.
Where to Purchase Traffic Cones
Whether you need one road cone or dozens, choose us at Armco Superlite. Our competitive prices and our products’ longevity will pay off over time. Replacing less stock because of UV damage, cracks, or fading will pay for itself in time.
Consider a consultation with us if you are searching for superior-quality, road-safety products. We offer a full range of road safety equipment for all purposes and applications, from W-Beam safety rails to our Alpha 70K TMA. If we don’t have it, you probably don’t need it. Contact us today or peruse our website.